Are you struggling with with your post-event survey scores? Are your events lacking in engagement and value adding features? Then it is time to give your event a new itinerary, individuals attend conferences to gain learn new skills, network with new people and share professional experiences, so what can you do to encapsulate all of these whilst keeping it fun and entertaining?
Contrary to what speaker bureau would have us believe, it is possible to put on an outstanding staff conference without paying a premium for a celebrity to ‘motivate’ the crowd through the graveyard shift.
Here are ten tactics to make your next conference captivating:
- One clear message: Having a clear message is better than half a dozen points that could be confused or forgotten and also directs a concise purpose towards the event
- Encourage interaction: Arrange delegates by seating people at tables instead of side by side in rows to make it easy for conversation
- Less lectures: Nobody wants death by PowerPoint, break up lectures with video clips and group break out sessions.
- Delicious refreshments: By simply adding fruit, ice cream and various soft drinks to the refreshments a drab coffee break can be transformed. Providing good refreshments and snacks also encourages better opportunities for social interaction between delegates
- Make it fun: When we laugh we learn. If your message really matters, make it engaging and enjoyable
- Movement: Making time for movement in a conference helps oxygenated blood pumping to the brain, whereas sitting still for more than 30 minutes induces drowsiness
- Venue: Choose a location that supports your message and culture. A new venue will raise expectations and lead to a more memorable event
- Easy access: This isn’t just about parking and bus routes but should also include hearing aid loops, clear slides and step free routes to toilets and refreshments
- Appeal to different learning styles: Every audience will have a mix of theorists, activists, pragmatists and reflectors, be sure to vary the programme to suit each
- End on a high: Giving out awards, announcing new information or throwing a party at the end of a conference helps to make the whole experience more positive and memorable
For more information on Fresh Tracks’ conference organising services, get in touch.