Work related stress is a common complaint. The latest figures from the Labour Force Survey (LFS) show that the total number of cases of stress in 2011/12 was 428, 000 (40%) out of a total of 1, 073, 000 for all work-related illnesses. Team building exercises can help combat some of the reasons and symptoms of stress in the workplace.
Whilst a little stress can push people to achieve – too much stress can have damaging and far reaching effects not only on the individual suffering but for the company and other team members.
For instance, here are some examples of the impact on a business from work related stress:
- Days off work may be taken.
- The company image can suffer.
- Staff retention and recruitment may be affected.
- Customer satisfaction can be damaged.
- Productivity and performance can suffer – errors may occur.
- Conflict between staff members.
What’s more, there are legal obligations for employers, to minimise the risk of stress-related illness or injury to employees, under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
Whilst a team building exercise is seen simply as a fun day out of the office by some employees, there are important lessons that can be learned on an away-day hosted by a professional events company, which can help reduce stress.
The benefits of a team building day for a staff member can be:
- Improving problem solving skills.
- Improving communication techniques.
- Developing leadership and managerial skills.
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses.
- Breaking down barriers with colleagues.
There are a number of different themed days out with Fresh Tracks that can ultimately help reduce stress for employees. Please get in contact to find out about the options available.