Our latest team building activity combines mental agility with collaboration, construction and commercial prowess.
This original team building challenge from Fresh Tracks sees teams compete in a catapult competition. Each team is required to:
- Work out a product-development strategy
- Solve puzzles and clues to acquire component parts
- Manage their intellectual and financial resources
- Negotiate with other teams
- Build and fire their own catapult
Teams also have a budget of gold coins which can be used to purchase catapult parts or to fund construction advice.
A number of options to enhance performance are available to each team, participants must calculate and agree upon the most cost and time-effective method to build their catapult.
- Effective planning
- Collaboration between teams
- Clear communication
- Even input from across the team
- Clear and inspiring leadership
In the past few months this exercise has been used to bond a new group of graduates, illustrate the importance of effective team planning with senior engineers and demonstrate the value of cooperation to a commercial sales team.
Whilst catapults always feature, the objectives of the exercise can be adapted to suit the group’s learning objective, with a greater or lesser emphasis made on factors such as tactics, collaboration, competition and team roles. See it for yourself on YouTube.