A team building away day presents a unique opportunity to achieve a number of outcomes.
On occasions the potential of time away from ringing phones, interrupted conversations and pinging emails can be lost due to rushed planning, unrealistic expectations or simply a lack of energy and fun within the agenda.
A good team building away day should achieve some (not all) of the following:
• More motivated team members
• A clearer sense of shared purpose
• Update performance and future plans
• New ideas for more efficient working
• More clearly defined and understood roles
• Greater appreciation of team members’ diverse strengths and attributes
• Increased trust within the team
• Short concise statements not endless flipcharts that are filed away never to be referred back to
• Clear space to think and generate ideas
• A sense of pride and belonging within the team
To make the most of a day ‘out of the business’ it’s advisable to delegate the facilitation of the content and logistics to a non-team member, this could be someone from another directorate or an external organisation. Using an outside agency should generate a fresh perspective and very often a good facilitator will come with a wealth of ideas and activities to generate energy, ideas and raise morale.